Republicans Heart Hugo
So follow me on this one:
- Self-identified Republicans like to claim to have a far superior understanding of economics than those they call Democrats.
- Same batch of folks are now calling for off-shore drilling on the theory that it would have a non-trivial impact on US oil prices.
- We know, of course, that oil is fungible, so the impact of any production here is spread across the entire world market for oil, not just the US market.
- Those self-identified Republicans must know that too, because of the superior understanding of economics mentioned in #1.
- Shirley those Republicans aren't putting forward all this fuss over a pennies-sized drop in the world price of oil which is what would happen if we drilled the hell out of ourselves (including not only offshore but ANWR as well).
- Therefore, those Republicans must have some other means in mind by which US prices will fall more than the prices paid by the rest of the world's oil consumers.
- There's only one way I can think of, though: forcing oil companies to sell us "our oil" at a discount (compared to the world price, which would only drop a little bit with the amount of production we can bring to bear). In other words, separating the US price from the world price - like our friends in Saudi Arabia do.
- What's another word for that? Nationalization. Or socialization, if you prefer. Either one will do.
I wonder if we know anybody who's an expert at that kind of thing. Perhaps even in our own hemisphere?
I think we found McCain's running-mate. If you're tired of paying too much to fill up your SUV, it's time to push your party leaders towards the McCain/Chavez ticket in '08. THIS IDEA NOT FOR STEALING.